Sunday 21 July 2013

Renault Scenic II / Grand Scenic II Heater Motor Fan Blower Resistor Problem

Renault Scenic/Megane Fan Resistor Problem/Blower Resistor

fan does not work, faulty resistor, fan broken, blower, heater



In my Grand Scenic (actually my wife's she the owner;) ) fan didn't work on position 4. I found out it could be problem with fan resistor (Heater fan blower).
Well I ordered the new one got it and swap it.
In fact the old one wasn't broken(as I found out after I removed it from heating system) but anyway I put the new one, just in case the old one turned out to be broken.
As before here too - step by step what to do to get him out.
Good luck!

 Brand new resistor

I would suggest to use this liquid


















 Good chance to give a quick wipe









 It is tight mounted so you have to use some force to disconnect fuse board from cover



























 All possible warnings will appear on your dashboard. Don't worry after you put all wires back everything will be back to normal. Some mechanics suggest to disconnect battery; I didn't do this, just have to be careful with live wires to do not make any short circuit.
 Power plug
 Now, the best way is to follow these two wires to get to the wright place - resistor

 Looks horrible, but everything is in order


Electrical plug that comes into resistor's collar




 Probably someone before changed resistor, and... glued it to keep it in position...I had to put flat-head screwdriver and lift the collar of resistor. It took me about half an hour before I detached it
 It is very tight and there is room only for one hand, also you have to lie down on your back and have a good source of light





 Finally resistor has been removed. Some rust on it.






 A4 connector was a bit burned. I cleaned it, put a drop of Kontakt and checked it. Fan was working on all 4 sets. I could put back the same resistor, but as you probably noticed on pictures it is rusted all over so I didn't want to take a risk and after a while do the same job again - new resistor has been mounted.
Thanks


20 comments:

  1. Well done and thank you for such a detailed guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent piece of work, possibly the best I have seen on this subject. Unfortumately, having stripped out my 2005 model Grande Scenic today It would appear that it was no easier to get to the resistor connector. It's still tucked well away out of sight. Must be a design difference between these models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi its easier to take out the speedometer dashboard you have plenty on space to take out your fan resistor module.
    All uk ireland version are same place mounted.
    Will save you time and hassle with all plastics. Thanks Benjamin Master Mechatronic Germany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx Benjamin. As it is Renault I did not take a risk to take off dashboard and possibly damage some cables/sensors etc. Renault is very sensitive about that and I wanted to fix resistor not all other things ;)
    But if the wires are long enough it could be worth to try it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a great guide! You said that the resistor was not actually damaged - does this mean that it was not the cause of your problem? If not, what else did you have to fix?
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meg,
      I am really sorry for such a late response, I was extremely busy at work. Yes, the resistor was actually ok, the problem was with the connectors (as shown on picture). After cleaning them the was working perfectly. However, I bought already a new resistor so I fitted it in my car. Thanks

      Delete
  6. Really useful guide except the removing of glove box. It has 5 visible screws to fix but there are two strong plastic fixing hooks can be reached through the hole of fuseboard. It would be useful to complete the article with the proper way of removing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very useful...thanks! as above the glove box is a problem ..to access the fan motor connector.most people replace the thermal resistor..why did it blow?
    right hand drive ----> go up under steering column not too difficult,(usb android endoscope very useful, £15 from china)...change the wiring loom every time ~35Amps starting current on fan motor ,speed four!!! ...patience is a virtue!...thank you for this ,saved me a lot of time trying to understand french engineering...never again!!!!
    lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the more I learn about Renault the more I like them ;)

      Delete
  8. Hi, I have a 2004 Renault Grand Scenic 1.9dci and the parking brake service light is on. The parking brake works fine when I apply and release it but the dashboard console continully says the brake is off and beeps.

    I'd be very grateful if anyone can help?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try to go on clip computer to get detailed information about error message. It could be a sensor, could be a emergency parking brake release handle or parking brake unit it self.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The upgraded resistor connector should have been used. The resistor had been changed before but not the connector so it happened again. The new upgraded connector has two more connections to cope with current draw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gents, I am really awed how you all manage to get to the resistior assembly without removing the steering wheel. Even on the respective Wojtek's photos above, the steering wheel is not present. With the wheel in place, I can barely see the spot I need to reach, but reaching it (let alone unscrewing anything) is surely out of question. Am I missing something?

    The other problem I had was removing the glove box. I unscrewed all the screwes, guaranteed, but there is still something else somewhere behind the middle of its back wall that holds it in place tight, and I didn't dare applying brute force. Should I?

    Otherwise, a great guide..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi' I've not got that car I got megane mk 2 but if your changing the resistor because the highest setting (4)is not working then I would bypass the resistor junction plug. The resistor only works on 3 of the wires in the plug the others are just connecting direct to the fan wires black and red.

      Delete
  12. Cut off the heaviest (purple i think)wire closest to the black fan wire, then cut or splice into the black fan wire and join both ends to that heavy wire just mentioned with a nice heavy connector block or solder it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Then cut off the heaviest wire near the red fan wire, cut off the red fan wire and connect just the one end that goes to the fan to the heavy one again with a heavy connector block. This is how they are connected behind the resistor your just now removing the bad plug connection problems

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for this great guide!

    you said though that in the end this actually wasn't broken, and so not the cause of the broken fan. What ended up fixing it, if not this?

    ReplyDelete